Are you interested in supporting and empowering girls in the District of Columbia? The organizations below provide mentorship, engagement, and volunteer opportunities with youth and young adult girls. Please contact the organizations directly to learn more about specific opportunities.
We also hosted a Facebook Live event with Best Kids, Inc., Covenant House, and Sasha Bruce Youthwork to share resources and dialogue about how to best serve teen girls in the District through mentoring opportunities.
Watch the video here: https://www.facebook.com/IServeDC/videos/10150761824909997/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE
- Access Youth is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to provide at-risk youth with access to the skills, resources and support they need to stay in school and out of the criminal justice system.
Asian American LEAD
- AALEAD’s mission is to support low-income and underserved Asian Pacific American youth with educational empowerment, identity development, and leadership opportunities through after school, summer, and mentoring programs.
BEST Kids Inc.
- BEST Kids is a nonprofit mentoring organization that empowers youth in foster care to build better futures, one child at a time.
Christ Child Society of Washington DC
- The Christ Child Society works to meet the material, educational, and emotional needs of children in the Washington, D.C area.
- CITYDANCE DREAM is an after-school program that provides dance classes and performance opportunities; mentoring and tutoring to students from D.C.’s most underserved communities.
Communities In Schools of the Nation's Capital
- Preventing dropouts by surrounding students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life.
- The Covenant House Mission statement helps us stay true to our calling as we serve homeless youth: We who recognize God’s providence and fidelity to His people are dedicated to living out His covenant among ourselves and those children we serve, with absolute respect and unconditional love. That commitment calls us to serve suffering children of the street, and to protect and safeguard all children.
- DC SCORES goes where kids in need are and creates neighborhood teams that give kids the confidence and skills to succeed on the playing field, in the classroom, and in life.
- Generation Hope is the only community-based nonprofit organization solely focused on college completion for teen parents in the D.C. area and is a rarity across the United States.
- Global Kids, Inc. is the premier nonprofit educational organization for global learning and youth development that works to ensure that youth from underserved areas have the knowledge, skills, experiences and values they need to succeed in school, participate effectively in the democratic process, and achieve leadership in their communities and on the global stage.
Healthy Babies Project
- Healthy Babies Project helps at-risk D.C. women and families have pregnancy support, develop parenting skills, and move out of the cycle of poverty.
Latino Student Fund
- The mission of the Latino Student Fund (LSF) is to provide opportunities for a strong academic foundation for under-served PreK-12th grade students of Hispanic descent and to promote higher education and professional leadership.
Sasha Bruce Youthwork
- The mission of Sasha Bruce Youthwork is to improve the lives of runaway, homeless, abused, and neglected at-risk youth and their families in the Washington area. We achieve this by providing shelter, counseling, life skills training and positive youth development activities to approximately 1,500 youth and 5,000 family members each year.
The Dance Institute of Washington
- The Dance Institute of Washington uses dance to help build self-esteem, discipline and motivate at-risk youth to excel in life.
Young Playwrights' Theater
- Young Playwrights’ Theater inspires young people to realize the power of their own voices. By teaching students to express themselves through the art of playwriting, YPT develops students’ language skills, and empowers them with the creativity, confidence and critical thinking skills they need to succeed in school and beyond.